Thursday, August 30, 2012

Conference reads

This is a RWAus conference and a RTW post combined.


Because I actually read both my fave books for this month while travellling. It's amazing for me to have hours and hours and hours to read without interruption (unless you count bouts of nervous nausea for my pitch appointments). This year's conference was on the sunny (compared to icy Sth Australia) Gold Coast in the funkiest of hotels, QT.


The whirlwind weekend included meeting brilliant people, old friends and learning so much my brain hurt. The cocktail party on the Friday night let me get my Grease on:



With Pink Ladies Rach Johns (Aussie Mira author) and Jackie (Entangled and Samhain author).

The workshops were amazing (am still processing) and the awards dinner was inspirational. Kind of like the early morning view. What made me think a 7am breakki Sunday was a good idea? But even only 3h sleep Eloisa James was worth listening to although I've never read Historical Romance.



Was a brilliant time but I was also really happy to get back home to the family!
Anyway, that brings me to the two best books I read this month:



Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.





This Week's Topic:
What was your best book for August?


This is no particular order....

On the way to the conference I read Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry. And... wow. These two people were so full of pain and so strong. i laughed, i sobbed. i sobbed more... I was thankful my eyeliner stayed more or less in place (am not used to dressing up and these days). It was one of the best books i've read in ages... but there was more to come...


And on the way home i read First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky which didn't make me cry... as much... (i'm not usually so weepy, honest) but I loved for the fact it really seemed like it was HIS story more than hers despite them being told in alternate POV. Was really interesting.




What about you? What did you like in August?

=)


1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I love that pic. Hehe. But who's the weirdo in the white wig?? Three hour sleep? You guys are amazing... Best conf ever. Can't wait to hang out with you again in Perth!

    ReplyDelete

i love comments. they make me happy.